Sunday, February 11, 2018

A NEW HEALTH REGIMEN

Lo and behold, I discovered that I had been putting on weight over the holidays, what with cakes and pies and cookies and candy.

So on Super Bowl Sunday I stopped drinking alcohol and cut down on my other caloric intake.

I've lost a little over 6 pounds in the week but I'm down about 9 pounds from my heaviest weight.

I've been too heavy for years.

When we lived in Mexico back in the 1980's and 90's, I lost a lot of weight when we first went there due largely to a severe case of Montezuma's Revenge.

Then as I got used to a different type of food, I gradually gained back some of it.

But I maintained a weight which was good for me, maybe a trifle thin but perfectly healthy, for the rest of our years south of the border.



That may be somewhat curious, considering the amount of beer and full sugar Mexican coca cola I drank while there.

Rarely was I seen without a glass or a bottle in my hand.



When we returned to the U.S.A., with all of those tempting fast food outlets, I soon gained back what I had lost and more.

I'm nearing 78 years of age now and I figure it was finally time to settle down and lose some weight.

For years I've said "Oh, what's the difference, I haven't got all that much time left anyway."

But, you know, however much time there is, I might as well enjoy it.

Better weight and health would go a long way towards that.

Wish me luck.

12 comments:

  1. Good luck!

    I tend to get a good amount of exercise in that does well in keeping me fairly trim- a lot of walking, as well as swimming four or five times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of Luck on your weight loss goal. You can do anything if you set your mind to it and stick with it. TS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I can go from 234 to 185-190, anybody can. Luck has little to with it, the moment you feel full put down your fork or spoon or you damn hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe we should join forces and form our own mini-Weight Watchers combining Prescott Valley and Chino Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it! Cutting out liquid calories is a good step. Every now and then, allow yourself a (controlled portion) treat, so you don't feel denied. If you plan ahead and budget in those calories, it's not cheating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see a new blog topic for you! Good luck! Think of the money you will save if you quit the alcohol! I work with people who are on the Whole 30 diet and love it. Keep us all posted at least one day of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fine idea. Moderate, daily exercise will do you as much good, as maintaining a good lipid level.....low LDL, HDL higher than LDL and total 130 or less. Exercise is probably paramount, by which I mean moderate, daily things like walking, cycling (stationary is fine), stuff like that. A daily glass or red wine or two does not hurt, and many studies indicate it helps, unless you have liver issues, indicated by a high bilirubin (above .5)

    That'll be 150$, check or money order fine, no bitcoin please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do wish you luck and I'll be counting those calories right there with you. However, I haven't given it a serious start yet. I have to get rid of all the temptations in my house first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're doing a very wise thing shedding those extra pounds. My Mom's doctor told her the biggest variable she could control that would affect her future health is her weight. More than anything else, keeping weight off makes a difference.

    It's interesting how the American (and also British) lifestyles contribute to weight gain. As you said, too many fast-food and empty-calorie options!

    ReplyDelete